Sunday, August 23, 2009

The 'Camp'

I just had the most enjoyable night on this vacation. And let me tell you, that statement is a big one as I have had a tonne of great times on this trip. No worries - you will soon find out all the great adventures.

But first, let me tell you a little about last night. After a fabulous time at Brad and Laurel's wedding, the party was near over and Jimmy and Brent had been commenting on going up to the camp. Since we had switched the car for the truck earlier on, all we needed to do was stop by the house and change.

We went down some familiar roads before we made out first turn. As we were headed up the road, with me at the wheel Jimmy said 'we are about to go up a steeper grade. You will need to go slow but steady!' No worries - the farm girl in me kicked it into high gear and we were off!

We went up this crazy rocky road that had various twists and turns. Other than a few soft spots, the roads were pretty good considering that they are maintained to their bare requirements for use to access the camps and power/telephone. Despite Jimmy's concerns that I was extra nervous, I was sitting up nice and straight and quite close to the steering wheel as this was the only way that I could see past the front of the truck and the night was pitch black so I wasn't sure what would be around the next corner (not going to lie - I was kind of waiting to happen upon a bear or family of deer as it looked like we were invading their homes on the drive)

It was absolutely beautiful. The trees formed a canopy over the road as it twisted and turned gaining an elevaltion of maybe 700 - 850 feet at Brent's best guess. Once we got passed the steep grade, we were able to slow right down and enjoy the drive winding our way up the mountain.

All too quickly, we arrived at this little cabin. I can't wait to post pictures. It was so cozy inside. When Brent first cracked the door open, my eyes actually got slightly misted as it reminded me of walking into the Hall Farm those numerous times over the years for a little farm picnic with dad and gramps during harvest and all the fabulous May long memories.

We spent the next few hours hanging out, chatting about the beautiful spot, listening to Jimmy and Brent catch up on the last year, their families, their friends and the town entertainment. Made plans to attend a race in Vegas. And talked about all the wonderful places we would like to travel.

It seemed like barely minutes had passed before it was time to head out. As we were getting ready to leave, the boys dubbed me to be the one to sign the log book. What a privilege as this special spot is something that Brent doesn't share with just anyone and I was thrilled that I was one of those privileged few. Not to mention that I was the first 'flatlander' to grace it's presence in the many years that it has been in the family.

Few important details to note in the log book - temperature, upcoming forecast, date and the 'who' and the rest of the page is filled with fabulous stories and memories for the next person to read. I loved every minute of being able to note our evening on paper for others to read for years and years to come.

Then off we were on the 25 minute drive back down the mountain. Through the spider webs, slowing to ensure that we don't hit the little frogs, listening to the chirping of the crickets, watching the bats fly accross our path and marveling over the beauty. I really hope i get the opportunity to come up during the daylight one day so that I can stop and take pics along the way. I also think this would be a great spot to sled up and spend new year's one time. (wink wink nudge nudge Jimmy!!)

I know it may not seem like much to others, but it really was such a special moment for me.

1 comment:

Sandra said...

It sounds wonderful, Jules! I think it really does sound like one of those moments that traveling and friends are all about!!